<span class="highlight">Satellite</span> <span class="highlight">phone</span> charges and plans from Telstra and Indigo

Following several threads on here about charges and misleading pricing here is the good oil found on the TELSTRA site

http://telstra.com.au/customer-terms/download/document/mobilesat.pdf

Here is the Satellite Subsidy document form Indigo Telecom's site

http://www.indigotelecom.com.au/pages/?slug=satellite-subsidy-scheme

Here is Indigo's Plan and pricing page.

http://www.indigotelecom.com/how-to-guides.html#Page_5.

Hope this will assist those who are considering buying one.

The Telstra page sets out the difference in pricing between a plan with them and using a Cellular SIM card in the Sat fone.

Hopefully will go a way to cutting down on the numerous repetitive threads.

Perhaps David could start some "Stickys" to stop this.

Also could have a Sticky entitled "READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST"

With some suggestions about searching and " How to put an interesting Heading on a New Thread"

What do the regulars think.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Dec 13, 2010 at 12:32

Monday, Dec 13, 2010 at 12:32
Graham,

If people checked the Satellite Phone article prior to posting a new thread, this thread would be seen along with another 49 similar threads.

This thread can be seen in the Article Feedback at the bottom of the Article :)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 438757

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Dec 13, 2010 at 13:10

Monday, Dec 13, 2010 at 13:10
IF they do and how many would know that.

They just bang up a post without checking as witnessed a week or so ago with at least two appearing in the prev 100 posts.

The info is hidden a bit and Im on here a lot and dont know where to look for a lot of it.

I find "Stickys" are a good idea as they are always at the top and should be read BEFORE posting.

LCool and 4x4 Monthly have them and they are good.

FollowupID: 710543

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Dec 13, 2010 at 18:46

Monday, Dec 13, 2010 at 18:46
Gee Graham - a "do a search first" box comes at them when they do a post - what more can be done that will make any difference? There are so many subject than come up week after week, that there'd be pages of stickies. We are stuck with the fact that many posters don't want to search and read - they just want the answer. I think many of us tire of saying the same thing over and over again, and it is hard to remain cool and polite when saying "just do a search - the same question was asked only last week" . I appreciate your sentiments.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 710574

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Dec 13, 2010 at 19:03

Monday, Dec 13, 2010 at 19:03
Dont need lots but that one would be good. Have even been on a forum where you cant post unless you do read it.

Too many want their searching done for them when a quick Google would find it. We usually have to do it to answer so why cant they.

Some things of course require users opinions but technical things are better asked from experts rather than from unseen persons opinions which may or may not be correct and in fact could be downright unsafe.

I try to help but as you say repeating yourself several times a week is a bit wearing.

And yes before I get jumped on I know We dont have to respond.

FollowupID: 710577

Follow Up By: BrownyGU - Monday, Dec 13, 2010 at 22:56

Monday, Dec 13, 2010 at 22:56
Graham,

I'm hearing you and I'm one that posted a sat phone question about a month a go and got some great replies and heaps of help (mine wasn't a sim card question enitially) especially from you, but I reckon the issue is it's just natural human behaviour to want some sort of endorcement, for there choice or purchase or decision or what ever, sure you can read all the info you like on any given subject, but most of us just want someone to say "Yes browny thats a good idea/purchase/what ever"

I can understand that those of you who have been around here for a long time can get sick of seeing repeat questions, but gee it sure is appreciated when it's good advice

For what it's worth I don't think it's too rude to answer a question with "it's been asked recently check out post no blah blah or do a search, and see how you go?

Also, last night I asked a Generator question (havn't got back to it yet) wich I'm sure had probably been coverd before so I used the search and typed in Generator, wet weather use! and got bugger all back, I generally don't have much luck with the search here!

Cheers........Browny
FollowupID: 710612

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Dec 14, 2010 at 09:47

Tuesday, Dec 14, 2010 at 09:47
Depends which "Search" you use.

If you use the one at the top of the forum it searches within the forum.

If you use the one on the Toolbar It gives you results from all parts of the site.
You then roll your mouse over each line and you can read the results.

By typing in generator I got 96 different threads from the forum

You can clik on show all results and untick all of them and just tick Forum and it will then show all the threads.

Hope that helps Its a bit of an awkward way of doing it I admit

FollowupID: 710653

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Tuesday, Dec 14, 2010 at 10:27

Tuesday, Dec 14, 2010 at 10:27
Hi Graham

Just wondering what I am doing differently - still on a learning curve with the system operations.....

I did the search at the top of the page and found the system prepared articles - very tidily presented too if I may say, then did the 'generator' search in the forum box and was presented with 2503 threads - as opposed to your 96.

Did you use a date limit perhaps?

Regards - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 710656

Follow Up By: BrownyGU - Saturday, Dec 18, 2010 at 00:04

Saturday, Dec 18, 2010 at 00:04
Thanks Graham,

Helpfull again.......!

Cheers.........Browny
FollowupID: 711043

Reply By: Bazooka - Monday, Dec 13, 2010 at 13:10

Monday, Dec 13, 2010 at 13:10
Graham

Useful for pricing but like all official documents cannot answer the basic question of 'what service/plan is best for me?'. More often than not people want to find out what paths others have taken and what their experiences have been wrt handset quality, coverage, flexibility, and carrier service (in addition to cost).

The T document also perpetuates the company line (myth) regarding service coverage, which has been debunked on here many times IIRC, at least in regard to 'dial out' (can't recall what happens with incoming calls).

6.7 If you use a Telstra Mobile (GSM) SIM card in a satellite service handset/device your service coverage:
(a) in Australia will be limited to the coverage of Telstra’s GSM mobile network;

Cheers
AnswerID: 438762

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Dec 13, 2010 at 13:21

Monday, Dec 13, 2010 at 13:21
You can dial to other networks but they cant send texts to you

Have tried that from both Optus and Vodafone and never received them.

They however got calls from me.

I mainly put it up as recently the same question has been asked several times when the info was already there.

I had a list of at least 10 threads all about the same thing.

Also no one could find the Telstra page and Indigo is just new.

FollowupID: 710548

Reply By: cycadcenter - Tuesday, Dec 14, 2010 at 05:23

Tuesday, Dec 14, 2010 at 05:23
Graham,

It certainly would be better if you used the "Insert Link" feature when posting.

Saves a lot of time cutting and posting long URL adresses for viewers.

Bruce
AnswerID: 438839

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Dec 14, 2010 at 11:26

Tuesday, Dec 14, 2010 at 11:26
Sorry about that but its quicker than finding the pages yourself.

FollowupID: 710659

Sponsored Links